|

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

"Transparency in Government," New York Times style...

Finally, we are getting some information about that shifty C.I.A.!!

As a citizen of the U.S., I really would like to know much more about what my government is doing around the world. There is far too much secrecy surrounding government activities. I would particularly like to know the names of all government agents and I would like detailed reports on exactly what those agents are doing and why. I'm particularly interested to know what all the undercover agents are doing. They are, after all, the ones most likely to do something improper, illegal and/or immoral. Further, I want to know more about what the military is doing in Iraq. I want to know what troops are where, what they are doing today, when they are planning to be redeployed and what they will be doing over at least the next month, especially if they are planning to attack someone. I also want to know about any special forces operations or "surprise" operations that may be in the works. Finally, I want to know what the federal government is doing domestically. If they are investigating someone, I want to know who they are investigating, what they have found out so far and what they hope to accomplish with each investigation. If they are using informants, I think we are entitled to know just who those informants are and what they have told the federal government to date. If what those informants have provided is true, the informants have nothing to be ashamed of, and we have federal whistleblower and wrongful termination protections against any potential retribution. It is a timeworn tactic of the government secrecy apologists to raise against these modest suggestions the long threadbare spectre of "violence." Scary idea on its face, to be sure, but whistleblowers and federal witnesses are throughly protected from violence by federal law as well as the law of all fifty states! How much more legal protection could they possibly need? Another silly objection raised by the "my country do-or-die" crowd is the idea that such disclosure might compromise "ongoing federal investigations." These objections would be completely laughable if they weren't sometimes taken seriously by the well-intentioned but uninformed. As Benjamin Franklin himself said, "those who would trade liberty for security deserve neither." I'll go with Franklin on this one, folks.

Open the books, I say. I think the American public is entitled to this information. How can we, after all, evaluate our country's actions if we don't even know just what those actions are?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eman, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on planning quick wedding when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for planning quick wedding. I am going to
bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about planning quick wedding at the site above.

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Eman, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on free wedding planning book I ended up on your page. Obviously is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for free wedding planning book. Should the need ever arise where you need information on free wedding planning book then drop by for a look.

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Eman, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on planning a wedding on a small budget I ended up on your page. Obviously is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for planning a wedding on a small budget. Should the need ever arise where you need information on planning a wedding on a small budget then drop by for a look.

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eman, you have a nice blog. Today I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on planning a wedding on a small budget when I found your page. Your site is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. I am going to add you to my favorite list of blogs for future reading and reference. Should you ever need information on planning a wedding on a small budget then drop by the site above and check it out.

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eman, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on free wedding planning book when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for free wedding planning book. I am going to
bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about free wedding planning book at the site above.

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eman, you have a nice blog. Today I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on planning a wedding on a small budget when I found your page. Your site is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. I am going to add you to my favorite list of blogs for future reading and reference. Should you ever need information on planning a wedding on a small budget then drop by the site above and check it out.

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eman, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on catholic wedding planning, I ended up on your page. Your shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about catholic wedding planning.

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or suggestions. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it!

my webpage :: daily offers

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home