|

Saturday, October 15, 2005

On infighting...

By now, I'm sure it's clear that I'm very disappointed in the nomination of Harriet Miers.

As disappointed as I am about that, I think I'm even more disappointment at the behavior of conservatives in the wake of the nomination.

For my principled good faith opposition to the nomination of Harriet Miers, I have been labeled a "sexist," an "elitist" and a "bed wetter" simply because I believe this nation deserves a better choice and I'm willing to say so.

On the other hand, Harriet Miers has been labeled a "hack" and a "crony," both of which are undeserved and unfair perjoratives.

A reasoned internal debate on the qualifications of Harriet Miers does not even threaten to permanently weaken, much less destroy, the conservative movement or the GOP. An inability to engage in a reasoned internal debate without getting personal does.

If the President is the "uniter" he has always claimed to be, perhaps he can persuade all sides in this debate to elevate the level of discourse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home