|

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

A Marine's Last Words

A moving, beautiful tribute to Cpl. Jeffrey Starr. From his last letter home:

"Dearest Emmylyn, I'm writing this for one reason only. On April 13th 2004 I thought I was going to die. My only regret is that I hadn't spent enough time with you. That I hadn't told you everything I wanted to. Being in Iraq for a 3rd time, I don't want to feel that way again because it was the worst feeling ever. So this letter is in case I won't ever get the chance to tell you. Obviously, if you are reading this, then I have died in Iraq. I kind of predicted this -- that is why I'm writing this in November. A third time just seemed like I'm pushing my chances. I don't regret going, everybody dies but few get to do it for something as important as freedom."

Hanky discretion is advised.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mark Shaw said...

The interesting thing about this is that the NY Times published that letter earlier this month - with some important omissions.

See my blog entry here for more info.

H. Shadrasky

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home