|

Thursday, March 02, 2006

On Humanity...

Every day of my life, this world pisses me off in some little way. Sometimes, I forget how much beauty there is in the world, but there is beauty, and a great deal of it. Some of the world's beauty is in spite of mankind. Much of the beauty is because of it.

Last night I listened to Joe Roggin (the comic) pontificate about how mankind was a cancer growing on the surface of the Earth. It's not an original thought. Ted Kaczynski and other environuts have made the same argument for years. They do make a couple of good points, but their ultimate conclusion is wrong. No doubt we make a lot of messes, but we make a lot of good stuff, as well. I'm frustrated with entire segments of mankind on a regular basis, but I don't hate any one of them. I'm frustrated with them because of their flaws. I'm frutrated with the President for making crummy decisions. I'm frustrated with religious leaders who deceive their congregations. I'm frustrated with religious followers who allow themselves to be used. I'm frustrated with politicians who don't have the courage to do the right thing. I'm frustrated with my own flaws, which are many.

The mobs who called for Christ's crucifixion weren't evil. They were doing what they believed to be the right thing. They believed they were doing good by protecting their faith from a dangerous heretic. Similarly, the mobs protesting and burning flags today aren't evil. They're deceived. We have a world full of flawed, imperfect people. It never has been, and probably never will be, any other way.

"For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do." - St. Paul's Epistle to the Romans

"I cared about what he wanted and I never judged him. Why? Because I never rejected him. In spite of all his imperfections, I'm a fan of man!! I'm a humanist. Maybe the last humanist." - Lucifer, The Devil's Advocate

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home